Wordless Wednesday: Moritas

If you haven’t noticed, I have a bit of an obsession with Mexican candies. Here’s another one of my finds, Moritas. They’re soft, sour gomitas that taste like blackberries and strawberries. They’re not the same kind of chewy consistency you’d expect from gummy bears, and they have a sort of crunchy, sweet, flavored coating of sugar dots. I haven’t had these in Mexico, but I’ve eaten something similar there and figured I’d like these too. My instincts usually don’t steer me wrong, and this was no exception–I’m headed back to the store this week to pick up another little bag.

• Can you think of any other sweet and sour candies from Mexico?

Comments

Dari, I love pretty much any kind of gomitas, but these are really a soft-bite which threw me off a little when I first had them. They kind of remind me of the Haribo gomitas that look like blackberries and raspberries!

Ericka, I’m totally obsessed with candies that have chile, chamoy or tamarindo! In fact, I’ve been trying to make my own chamoy at home lately. We’ll see how it turns out! :)

Let me know if you can’t find them and I’ll send you one! I’m happy to take orders from friends, though I’m sure the people who work at the grocery store will look at me funny for buying a huge box of individual packets of gomitas ;)

My momma loves herself some sour strips… I think she would enjoy these too. She is looking over my shoulder asking where she can find these. I’m officially on a hunt. Thanks for sharing.

I love sour strips too! I don’t know what it is about sour and sweet candies, but I love them and always have. One of my favorites is any kind of tamarindo candy because it has that sort of sour but sweet bite to it. What other candies does your mom like that are sour?

Joscelyn, they are really yummy, but keep them away from the kids! LOL I am positive it would send them on a hyper sugar spree of some kind. Even after I ate a little baggie of them myself in one sitting, I realized I should only have eaten a few and saved the rest for a few more servings! I don’t know if it’s because I’m getting older and my tastes are changing a little bit, or if it’s because of the sugar detox I went through earlier this year, but these are super sweet between the gomitas and the little candy balls that stick to the outside of the candy.

Qué es esto? I’ve never seen them before and now I’m going to have to go looking for them. My mom leaves to el D.F. in a couple of weeks and the list of encargos is growing by the minute! Jajajaj!!!

Haha, Rox, don’t bother your mami to bring you back moritas. I’ll send you a little package from Chicago so she doesn’t have to load up her suitcase. I’m sure you will like these – they aren’t that far from pica fresas. My José is headed to DF next month and I have a huge list of encargos jaja. I’m sure not everything I want will fit in the suitcase so I started to list them out by priority! ;)

Oooh, I’m going to have to look for these when I go to Mexico this week. I’m also obsessed with Mexican candy… anything sour/with chile and I can’t put it down!

Have a great time Mariana! I can’t wait to read all about your trip on your blog once you’re back. Nothing refreshes my soul like a trip to Mexico and making new food discoveries! Let me know if you find these or anything similar. :) I’m obsessed with anything that has the sweet/sour/spicy twist to it.

4. Angie says

I love moritas! This was a candy I grew up eating as a kid in Mexico- I had all but forgotten about them until I was browsing around your blog. I am in love with your page and am currently cooking your rendition of rajas con crema (with corn added, I must confess!).

Hi Angie, thanks for the comment! Glad I could indulge you in a childhood memory :) I have a Mexican candy obsession so poke around for more dulces. (And don’t worry about adding corn to the rajas con crema recipe; lots of people do! My marido just doesn’t like it that way, so my recipe doesn’t include it.)