How to make Instant Pot pinto beans Mexican-style with an easy no-soak method that will have your beans on the table in under an hour.
- 2 cups pinto beans, rinsed
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 4 cups boiling water
- 1 teaspoon ground ancho chile
- 1/4 teaspoon Mexican oregano
- 4–5 cloves of garlic
- 2 fat slices (1/4-inch thick, each) of white onion
- 1 to 1-1/2 teaspoons kosher salt, added after cooking
- Put all ingredients in the Instant Pot and press the Pressure Cook button on high for 35 minutes.
- When Instant Pot turns off, let it sit to depressurize for about 15-20 minutes, then use a towel to manually release steam until the valve drops. Be careful not to burn your hands with the steam.
- Once the valve drops, open the Instant Pot lid by twisting and lifting away from you to allow any remaining steam to escape. Set lid aside.
- Press the Sauté button and cook for another 7-10 minutes, stirring frequently, until beans are creamy and tender.
- Turn off Instant Pot and ladle to serve.
These beans can be stored in the refrigerator in an airtight container for up to a week.
You can substitute vegetable broth for the chicken broth to make this recipe vegetarian-friendly.
Keywords: pinto beans