Fresas con crema, a traditional Mexican dessert of strawberries, cream and sugar, gets a warm-weather makeover as popsicles.
- 1 pound ripe strawberries, stems removed
- 1/2 cup Zulka Morena sugar (a Mexican non-GMO sugar)
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 3–4 tablespoons sugar
- Wash and dry 1 pound of strawberries, then remove stems.
- Slice strawberries and put them in a deep bowl. Sprinkle 1/2 cup sugar over the strawberries and stir gently to coat. Allow strawberries and sugar to macerate for 1 hour to draw out the juices.
- While the strawberries are macerating, measure 1 cup heavy whipping cream and put it in the freezer for 1 hour, gently stirring once after 30 minutes so no ice chunks form.
- After 1 hour, add the macerated strawberries to a food processor (I use a Cuisinart mini prep) or a blender and pulse a few times until the strawberries are chopped but not liquified. Add them back to the bowl.
- Clean out your food processor cup or blender and dry thoroughly. Remove the heavy whipping cream from the freezer and add to the food processor cup or the blender. Add 3 tablespoons sugar (or 4 tablespoons if you like your fresas con crema to be very sweet). Run the food processor or blender on high until you have a thick, sweet whipped cream. (Be careful not to overwhip,or you’ll end up on your way to making butter.)
- Spoon the whipped cream into the bowl of macerated strawberries with a flexible spatula and gently fold the whipped cream into the berries.
- Pour into popsicle molds and freeze for a minimum of 6-8 hours or overnight.
Active prep time is 1 hour and 15 minutes; inactive time is for freezing the popsicles until solid.
To loosen the popsicles from the molds, run the bottom of the molds under cool or lukewarm water for a few minutes. They should slide right out.
*If you use processed white sugar for this recipe, you will want to reduce the amount of sugar by 1/3 to 1/2 and taste along the way to make sure that it’s not too sweet for your liking. I prefer not to cook with white sugar and do not keep it in my pantry.
Keywords: fresas con crema, strawberry, strawberries, popsicles, paletas, ice pops